Should I go to work if I am still hurt from a work-related accident?

Live Help NOW   800-809-3776

File a claim if you’ve been hurt on the job

If you are hurt while on the job, the first thing you should do is report the injury to your supervisor.  Too often what we think is a little injury can turn into a much larger problem in a short period of time.  Everyone knows the experience of receiving a jolt, falling, or just working hard, only to have the pain set in the next morning.  Even if you think you can “walk it off,” do yourself a favor and report your accident.  If you do not report your injury when you first notice it, the insurance company is likely to assume you hurt yourself at home while you were off the job.  If nothing comes of it, then there is no harm done.  If something does come of it, then you have likely saved yourself a fight with your employer’s worker’s compensation insurer.

Get a doctor’s evaluation

If you have suffered an injury on the job and made a claim with your employer, then the company should send you to see a doctor for an evaluation. If you have told your employer that you are hurting, and they are having you work anyway, then you need to specifically ask to file a worker’s compensation claim and ask for a doctor’s evaluation.

Perform the light duty work that is assigned

That doctor may release you to return to work with restrictions. The company has the right to put you back to work as long as the work they give you is within the doctor’s restrictions. You need to do the work your employer gives you so long as it meets the restrictions the doctor gave you. If you simply stop showing up for work, you may put your eligibility for wage benefits at risk.


If the company gives you appropriate light duty, then you will not get paid money to replace your wages if you quit your job or are fired for missing work. You will still be eligible for medical benefits and you will get paid some money if you are found to have a permanent impairment from your injury at the end of the claim.

Contact an attorney

If you think the work you are assigned is outside your doctor’s restrictions than contact us today.  You will be able to speak to an attorney at no charge who can give you advice on your worker’s compensation claim.  We are here to answer your questions or assist with your claim. We can help you maximize the recovery on your claim and get you the care and benefits you deserve.  Give us a call today!

Please contact one of our attorneys at 1-800-809-3776 for further help.

Useful Links:

Workers compensation lawyer lafayette
Anderson workers compensation attorneys
Workers compensation lawyers
Indiana workers compensation lawyer
Lebanon workers compensation lawyer
Louisville workers compensation lawyer
Greenfield workers compensation attorneys
Indianapolis workers compensation attorney
Workers compensation lawyers