Live Help NOW 317-569-9644
Indianapolis Bicycle Accident Attorney
Indianapolis Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Did a bicycle accident injure you in Indianapolis? If a careless motorist, negligent municipal entity, or another party caused your crash, you could be owed compensation. Getting what the at-fault party owes you is not always straightforward, though. You’ll likely have to file an injury claim or lawsuit to recover the money they owe you, and the other party and their insurance companies often won’t part with it without a fight.
That’s why the best move you can make is to hire a bicycle accident lawyer from Klezmer Maudlin PC to represent you. For decades, our firm has fought for the rights and interests of those injured in Indianapolis, including bike accident victims. Our legal team has over a century of collective legal experience. You can trust that we have the knowledge and skill necessary to help you seek the money you need for your injuries and other losses.
Reach out to Klezmer Maudlin PC for a free initial case evaluation to talk to our Indianapolis bicycle accident attorneys about your rights and legal options. We’ll be ready to fight for you at the negotiating table or in court to demand the justice you deserve.
Why Choose Klezmer Maudlin PC To Help You After a Bicycle Accident?
You should not have to face big insurance companies on your own after suffering injuries in a bike accident in Indianapolis. Experienced legal representation can help you maximize your financial recovery for your expenses and losses.
Accident victims in Indianapolis and throughout Indiana have turned to the attorneys of Klezmer Maudlin PC for help with their legal claims because:
- Our attorneys have over 25 years of legal experience fighting for the rights and interests of injured victims across the Indianapolis region.
- We have a proven record of success, which includes millions of dollars in financial recovery secured for our clients in negotiated settlements and trial verdicts.
- Our legal team has developed a reputation in the community and among our peers in the legal industry for providing intelligent and effective advocacy and advice to injury victims.
- We represent injured clients on a contingency fee basis, which means you never owe any money upfront to hire us. We get paid only if we win you compensation in a settlement or trial. That means you have no financial risk in pursuing a legal case against those at fault for the accident and your injuries.
Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you after a bicycle accident.
How a Bicycle Accident Attorney Can Help You With Your Claim?
Your treatment and physical and emotional recovery should be your main focus after a serious bike crash. Putting your full effort into your treatment and rehabilitation could help you get back to regular life more quickly. A bicycle accident attorney can help you by preparing your case and pursuing compensation from the at-fault party.
Let a bike accident lawyer from Klezmer Maudlin PC take care of the details of your case, including:
- Recovering all available evidence by thoroughly investigating the accident
- Identifying liable parties and available insurance coverage
- Documenting your injuries and losses to calculate what fair compensation looks like in your case
- Bringing in expert witnesses to help with accident reconstruction and explanation of your injuries and future financial losses
- Discussing your legal options with you and explaining the claims process to prepare you to make informed decisions for your interests
- Filing insurance and legal claims on your behalf
- Aggressively negotiating for a fair settlement that provides you with full compensation
- Filing a lawsuit to seek compensation in court if the other side offers a lowball settlement or refuses to negotiate in good faith
Bicycle Accident Statistics
According to the Indiana University Public Policy Institute and the Indiana Criminal Justice Institute, bicycle accident statistics from one recent year include:
- 684 cyclists had collisions with motor vehicles across the state of Indiana, resulting in 481 cases of injury and 18 fatalities
- In Marion County, a total of 109 cyclists were involved in accidents with motor vehicles, leading to 69 cases of injuries and six fatalities
- Another report found that while cyclists made up less than one percent of people involved in traffic accidents, they accounted for 2.6 percent of traffic fatalities in one recent year even though crashes involving cyclists had reached five-year lows
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Some of the most frequent causes of bike crashes in Indianapolis include:
- Reckless driving, such as excessive speeding, street racing, or swerving around traffic
- Passing a cyclist too closely
- Distracted driving
- Drowsy or fatigued driving
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs
- Disregarding traffic signs or signals
- Not using indicators or checking mirrors when turning or changing lanes
- Failing to yield the right of way
- Driver inexperience
Other causes and contributing factors in bicycle accidents include low lighting, adverse weather conditions, and poor road conditions or unsafe road design.
Common Injuries Suffered in Bicycle Accidents
Cyclists lack protection from injury in a collision with a motor vehicle or a road crash.
As a result, cyclists can suffer a wide range of injuries in accidents, such as:
- Cuts and lacerations
- Abrasions/road rash
- Degloving injuries
- Broken or fractured bones
- Ligament sprains/tears
- Muscle/tendon strains/tears
- Nerve damage
- Herniated spinal discs
- Internal injuries
- Spinal cord injuries and paralysis
- Facial injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
What Should You Do After a Bicycle Accident?
To protect your rights after a bicycle accident:
- Take pictures and videos of the accident scene if possible, documenting important details such as damage to your bike and the other vehicle, visible injuries you sustained, skid marks on the road, traffic controls, and weather/lighting/traffic conditions
- Report the crash to the authorities
- Seek medical attention as soon as possible to obtain a diagnosis of the injuries you suffered in the accident
- Follow your healthcare provider’s treatment plan and instructions for your injuries
- Keep all accident-related bills and invoices to document your expenses
- Gather your income statements and medical records
- Start a diary or journal to document the pain and physical impairment you experience during your medical recovery
Determining Fault for a Bike Crash
Determining which party or parties bear fault for a bicycle accident requires reviewing:
- Accident scene photos and videos
- Police reports
- Eyewitness statements
- Surveillance/traffic camera footage
- Dashcam/helmet cam footage
- Driver cell phone records
- Logs from the driver’s vehicle’s event data recorder (“black box”)
- Post-accident vehicle inspection
- Accident reconstruction reports
The determination of fault for the bicycle accident may impact your rights to financial recovery. Indiana law uses the modified comparative negligence system for accident claims. Under the modified comparative negligence rule, each at-fault party has liability in proportion to their percentage of fault.
The doctrine further states that an injured accident victim may still pursue a legal claim so long as their share of fault for the accident does not exceed the fault of the other party or parties. However, if an accident victim bears partial responsibility for the accident, the court can reduce their recovery in proportion to their share of fault. For example, a bicycle accident victim who incurred $100,000 in losses from an accident they bear 20 percent of the fault will have liability for $20,000 of their losses but can pursue a claim for the remaining $80,000.
Due to Indiana’s comparative negligence system, you need experienced legal counsel who will prepare a compelling, persuasive argument to support your right to financial recovery and maximize your compensation.
Options for Recovering Compensation After a Bicycle Accident
Under Indiana law, you can pursue compensation from the driver or party at fault for the bicycle accident. Your claim will likely involve obtaining compensation from the at-fault driver’s insurance company. You may also have a claim against the at-fault driver’s employer if the accident occurred during the driver’s job.
You can also turn to your auto insurance if you have purchased a policy with certain coverages, including:
- Med Pay: An optional coverage that provides compensation for medical bills and other expenses incurred to recover from injuries suffered in a collision with a motor vehicle
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage: Allows you to recover compensation for your expenses and losses if the at-fault driver doesn’t have liability insurance or their policy limits will not fully compensate you
Frequently Asked Questions About Bicycle Accidents in Indianapolis
Common questions that bicycle accident victims have about their legal rights following crashes include:
How Long Does a Bicycle Accident Claim Take To Resolve?
Various factors will affect the timeline of your bicycle accident case, such as:
- The severity of your injuries
- Whether your injuries cause you temporary permanent disability
- Whether you miss time from work or become permanently disabled from returning to your job or other work
- The extent of any other financial losses you incur
- The number of parties you can hold liable for your injuries
- Whether you share any fault for the accident
- The strength of your evidence supporting your case
- The skill and resources of your legal counsel
- Whether you need to file a lawsuit to pursue your claim and the schedule/availability of the court
When Do I Need to File a Bicycle Accident Lawsuit?
Under Indiana’s statute of limitations on bicycle accident claims, you must file your lawsuit within two years of the accident. The court will dismiss a lawsuit filed after the deadline, resulting in losing your right to recover compensation.
In addition to the statute of limitations, you must give notice of your claim if you had a bicycle accident caused by a state or local government vehicle or employee. Depending on the government agency, you may have anywhere from 180 to 270 days to file a notice of your claim with the relevant agency. Untimely notice may result in losing the opportunity to seek financial recovery.
How Much Is My Bicycle Accident Case Worth?
The value of your bicycle accident claim will depend on the severity of your injuries and the extent of the financial and personal losses you suffer due to the accident.
A bicycle accident claim can provide you with financial compensation for things like:
- Repair or replacement costs for your damaged or destroyed bicycle
- Medical and rehabilitation expenses
- Loss of wages/income after missing time from work
- Loss of future earning capacity and employment benefits after suffering permanent disabilities that prevent you from returning to work
- Pain and suffering
- Loss of enjoyment and quality of life due to physical disabilities and permanent scarring/disfigurement that interferes with daily activities or causes you embarrassment or humiliation
Do I Need an Attorney to File a Bicycle Accident Claim?
Although you do not need an attorney to file a compensation claim, having legal counsel can help you maximize your financial recovery. An experienced lawyer will know how to investigate your crash and build a persuasive case on your behalf. Your lawyer can also communicate with the insurance company for you, protecting you from the tactics that adjusters might use to get you to make certain statements that might jeopardize your claim. Letting an attorney handle your legal claims will also free you to focus your time and energy on your medical recovery from the injuries you suffered in the bicycle accident.
Contact an Indianapolis Bicycle Accident Lawyer Today
Call Klezmer Maudlin PC at (317) 569-9644 or fill out the contact form on our website for a free, no-obligation consultation with an experienced Indianapolis bike accident lawyer. We will take the time to get to know you, understand your situation, and answer any questions you might have about your rights and legal options. We’re here to help, and our goal will be to get you the full and fair compensation you deserve.
Klezmer Maudlin Indianapolis Office Location
8520 Center Run Dr
Indianapolis, IN 46250
Request a FREE Consultation
We respect your privacy. All of the information you provide will be kept strictly confidential. After you submit the contact form below, we will follow up with you – usually within 24 hours and sometimes much sooner than that. We are prepared to answer all of your questions and provide you with advice about your legal options during a free consultation and claim review.