Practice Areas

Live Help NOW   317-569-9644

Workplace Accidents


Injured on the Job? Our Workplace Injury Lawyers Can Help!

If you have been injured on the job and are not sure what to do next, you are not alone. Coping with a workplace injury can be stressful as you try to figure out how you will recover physically and how you will keep up financially.

At Klezmer Maudlin, PC, our focus is on helping people get back on track after a workplace injury, and we have been doing just that for more than 25 years. Our skilled attorneys have handled more than 30,000 worker’s compensation claims for clients throughout Indiana. In fact, our experience and knowledge in this area are so widely recognized that we were asked by Thomson West to write the Indiana Worker’s Compensation Law and Practice Manual, a reference guide that other attorneys turn to for advice in this area of law.

Experience is an essential factor in making the decision to hire an Indianapolis worker’s compensation lawyer because state law sets the fees for these types of attorneys. That means you don’t need to waste precious time price shopping. Instead, you should make your decision to hire a workers compensation attorney based on experience and your comfort level with the attorney.

Schedule a free case consultation with the skilled and experienced workers comp attorneys at Klezmer Maudlin, PC now. We will go over all the details related to your injury and determine what your next steps should be and what worker’s compensation may pay.

Some common questions about workplace accidents and injuries

As long-time Indiana worker’s compensation attorneys, Randy Klezmer and Nathan Maudlin have handled many different types of worker’s comp claims and have helped workers who were dealing with all types of injuries. However, even though each case is unique, many people have the same questions when they are first deciding how to proceed with their worker’s compensation claim. Some of the common questions we receive are:

How do I file a worker’s compensation claim?

Start by reporting your injury to your employer as soon as possible (or within 30 days), and ask for a copy of the written accident report. Your employer then must file a claim with the worker’s compensation insurance company. Be sure to follow all instructions from your employer and the insurance company, including attending doctor visits. Keep records of everything—communications with your employer, instructions from the insurance company, notes about doctor visits, etc. You may not be able to trust your employer or the insurance company to simply give you the proper amount of benefits. Unfortunately, you have to be armed with evidence to pursue full and fair compensation. Get a full walk through on how to file a workers compensation claim.

Can I be fired for filing a worker’s compensation claim?

No. The Indiana worker’s compensation system is meant to protect workers, not punish them. If you are concerned that your employer may try to fire you for filing a claim, contact an experienced attorney immediately to ensure your rights are protected.

How will I get paid if I’m not working?

In Indiana, your worker’s compensation benefits should cover:

  • A portion of your wages (usually two-thirds for Temporary Total Disability, up to a certain amount)
  • Your medical expenses
  • Additional compensation if you are not able to recover to the point you were before the injury

How long does it take to start receiving compensation?

Once you have been out of work for more than seven days, you will be entitled to weekly income benefits. The first payment must be mailed within 15 days after the date you were injured. Note that you will not receive compensation for the first week you were out until you have been out of work for 21 days.

Does my employer get to choose the doctor I see?

Yes. In Indiana, your employer and the insurance company have the right to choose your doctor. If you are unhappy with your employer’s doctor choice, the law allows you to request an independent medical examination at a specific point in your case. If you decide on your own to go to a different doctor than the one your employer chose, you will be responsible for the medical bills.

How will I pay my medical bills?

Worker’s compensation insurance should cover your medical bills. Tell the doctor and any other specialists your employer sends you to that your injury is work-related, and all expenses should be billed to your employer’s workers’ compensation insurance. If the insurance company denies the claim, contact an Indiana worker’s compensation attorney immediately to discuss what to do next.

What if my injury does not totally prevent me from working?

If you suffer an injury that prevents you from performing your normal duties but does not totally prevent you from working, your employer may offer you work that suits your limitations. In that case, even though you are working, you may not be making the same amount as you were before the injury. Temporary Partial Disability benefits can help cover two-thirds of the difference between your pre-injury and post-injury wages.

Can I sue my employer?

You cannot sue your employer, but depending on your situation, you may be able to recover compensation from a third party that was responsible for your injury. Third-party lawsuits may seek damages from subcontractors, equipment manufacturers, drivers or others who may be liable for your accident. For example, if you were hurt when a defective ladder collapsed, you may be able to sue the company that made the ladder.

What should I do if my worker’s compensation claim is denied?

The Indiana Worker’s Compensation Board recommends that you seek the assistance of an attorney experienced in this particular area of law if you are denied benefits or have questions about your claim. An attorney can help you gather evidence in your case and prepare your argument. An experienced Indiana worker’s compensation lawyer will be able to help you navigate the mediation process and, if needed, an appeal.

Was your workers compensation claim deniedContact us today for your free worker’s compensation consultation!

How much does it cost to hire a worker’s compensation attorney?

Klezmer Maudlin, PC does not charge an upfront fee for our services. Under the Indiana Worker’s Compensation Act, attorney fees are limited to $200, plus 20 percent of the first $50,000 recovered, and 15 percent of any remaining balance. With limited exceptions, we also will collect our out-of-pocket expenses from the money you recover (not directly from you).

Worker’s Comp Related Injuries

At Klezmer Maudlin, PC, our workers comp lawyers focus exclusively on work injury cases. That singular focus has given us experience in every aspect of these types of cases, including:

  • Construction accidents
  • Work-related car accidents
  • Catastrophic injuries
  • Occupational disease claims
  • Carpal Tunnel Syndrome
  • Permanent Partial Impairment disputes
  • Permanent Total Disability
  • Future medical expenses disputes
  • Wage disputes
  • Physician disputes
  • Independent medical examinations
  • Denied claims
  • Product liability claims
  • Third-party claims
  • Steelworker injuries


Although there are common types of workplace injury cases, experience has also shown us that every person and every situation is unique. That’s why our attorneys take the personal approach of getting to know clients and thoroughly discussing all aspects of their cases.

Get Help with Your Workers Comp Claim Now

We know the uphill battle an injured worker faces when struggling to recover from a workplace accident and make ends meet. You should not be wasting time and energy trying to argue with your employer or the insurance company in order to get the benefits to which you are lawfully entitled.

At Klezmer Maudlin, PC, our compassionate and dedicated Indiana worker’s compensation lawyers have years of experience with these types of claims, and we want to put that experience to work for you. Don’t let your employer or some big insurance company deny you full and fair compensation for your injury. Contact us now to discuss how we can help with your worker’s compensation claim. We can meet with you at our offices in Indianapolis, Evansville, Jeffersonville, New Harmony, and Lafayette, or we can visit you—whatever is most convenient.

Schedule a free consultation by filling out our online form or calling today.

Request a FREE Consultation

We respect your privacy. All of the information you provide will be kept strictly confidential.  After you submit the contact form below, we will follow up with you – usually within 24 hours and sometimes much sooner than that. We are prepared to answer all of your questions and provide you with advice about your legal options during a free consultation and claim review.

Follow Us